Meta-analysis of the research on creativity by Francesca Gino in the Harvard Business Review. The whole three-article series is good. Here’s a sample: Five ways in which managers can bolster creativity:
- Hire for curiosity;
- Model inquisitiveness;
- Emphasize learning goals;
- Let employees explore and broaden their interests; and
- Have “Why?” “What if…?” and “How might we…?” days.
She identifies two tendencies that restrain managers from encouraging curiosity:
- They have the wrong mindset about exploration, often thinking that letting employees follow their curiosity will lead to a costly mess; and
- They seek efficiency to the detriment of exploration.
From the September 2020 issue of my newsletter. “On management and strategy” is a free, monthly newsletter in which I share my own writing as well as links to articles and research on management, leadership, and strategy. It’s easy to subscribe… and unsubscribe.